One of the great things about living in Canada is the variety of fresh vegetables available for health-conscious dishes. Try this delicious salad to take advantage of the locally-grown broccoli that's in-season this summer.
- 1 L (4 cups) fresh broccoli, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 75 mL (1/3 cup) Hellmann's Real Mayonnaise
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 125 mL (½ cup) golden raisins
- 10 mL (2 tsp) fresh lemon juice 10 mL
- 5 mL (1 tsp) curry powder
- 50 mL (1/4 cup) sliced almonds, toasted
- Cook broccoli in lightly salted boiling water for 2 minutes; drain. Place broccoli in a bowl of ice water to stop further cooking; drain well, and pat with a paper towel. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except almonds. Chill until ready to serve. To serve, stir in almonds and season if desired with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Mayonnaise is better for you than you might think. Good fats like omega-3 fats help our bodies to absorb a range of vitamins such as vitamin A, D, E and K. Vegetable omega-3 fats are an essential part of a healthy balanced diet because our bodies do not naturally produce them. So we have to eat them daily, through foods like canola and flaxseed oil, walnuts, or mayonnaise.
Complete nutritional information (including calorie content) can be found at www.hellmanns.ca along with more recipe ideas.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Ultimate Design Challenge: Vote for a Chance to Win! - November 16, 2018
- Jacklynn’s Contemporary Living Room Design Board - November 16, 2018
- Yvonne’s Cheerful Bedroom Design Board - November 16, 2018