- 16 large scallops
- 1 cup buttercup squash
- 1 green apple, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups shiitake mushrooms, or your favourite seasonal mushrooms cleaned and chopped
- 2 white onions, julienne
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 celery heart, shaved and julienne
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375˚f.
- Peel and chop the squash and place it into a baking dish with the apple and chopped onion. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with oil, add a few nuggets of butter and cover with tin foil. Bake in the preheated oven until tender.
- Remove from the oven and place in a blender. Purée until completely smooth and creamy and set aside in a warm place.
- Place the julienne onions in a frying pan and drizzle with oil and a few nuggets of butter.
- Season with salt and cook on low heat until caramelized while stirring occasionally.
- Preheat some oil in a pan until hot and gently place the cherry tomatoes in it and remove from fire, use only when the oil is completely cold.
- Clean the scallops and season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat a skillet and melt butter in it. Add the scallops and sear one side first.
- Turn them over and add the mushrooms.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook until the mushrooms are done to your liking.
- Spread some squash on 4 plates and place four scallops on each, sprinkle the mushrooms around and on them, place a few tomatoes to garnish and sprinkle the onions all over the scallops.
Photography by Stephani Buchman, As Seen In Canadian Home Trends Winter 2016