Design and Event Editor Evelyn Eshun shows us how a spare room can double as both a guest bedroom and home office with a Sleep Chest. – Photography by Larry Arnal
Fresh & Lively
For our guest bedroom, I created a fresh and lively look, perfect for a guest or a youth’s room. Denim bedding, much like a well loved pair of jeans, adds texture and subtle color. The area rug adds a punch of color with an array of stripes. I picked up the yellow from the rug and introduced a mid-century inspired, slipper style chair. A large abstract art piece is leaning against the wall rather than being hung. This is the perfect choice for a space where you cannot put holes in the wall or want to be able to easily move it.
Elegant & Modern
To convert this room into an elegant home office with a feminine touch, I chose a beautiful chair with slight curves and an airy feeling in a beautiful colored, lighthearted fabric. For the desk, I chose a fabulous modern style desk with a glass top that swivels 360 degrees. The Sleep Chest is closed and I changed out the artwork for a layered look. A yellow and gray accent rug adds an air of sophistication and pulls color from the chair.
Sleep On It
This Sleep Chest is a great alternative to a traditional murphy bed as you don’t have to install it on a wall. It comes in a variety of styles and finishes making it the perfect fit no matter your preferred décor style. I particularly love the Madrid as it lends well to a contemporary setting. This Sleep Chest, a great piece of multi-functional furniture, comes with a mattress and best of all, assembles with minimal effort. – Evelyn Eshun, www.evelyneshun.com
- The glass top on this desk features a 360 degree swivel which doubles the available workspace when opened up. When not in use, the glass top slides closed therefore the desk can be moved aside and used as a console table. – Ambros Swivel Desk, www.smallspaceplus.com
- Because space was limited, I chose to include a chair instead of a nightstand. This provides a place for guests to sit but can also be used as a nightstand for holding books, glasses or other items as needed. – Bailey Accent Chair, www.smallspaceplus.com
- Hidden storage in the bottom of the Sleep Chest provides the perfect place to store bedding and linens when not in use. – Sleep Chest, www.sleepchest.net
- This arching floor lamp can double as both a bedside and desk lamp, making it the perfect choice for a multi-purpose room. A black lamp shade with white interior will direct more light downwards making it perfect for a home office. – Vortex Floor Lamp, www.smallspaceplus.com
Latest posts by Evelyn Eshun (see all)
- Evelyn Eshun’s Designer Christmas Dining Room - November 12, 2018
- Evelyn’s Double Take: The Sleep Chest - October 1, 2018
- Bohemian VS Urban: Evelyn’s Dining Room Double Take - June 8, 2018