You say Alfresco!
Outdoor living is the hottest trend in home design. We are all looking for ways to extend our square footage and creating a living space outdoors is a fun way to accomplish that goal. The kitchen is the undisputed heart of the home, where all gather and linger during parties or daily meals. To achieve that kind of space outside, your will have to formulate a plan. Before creating an exquisite, full-service kitchen outdoors, think carefully about your current backyard cooking setup. Evaluate what you’d like to improve and what already works well with your lifestyle.
While homeowners have been grilling outside for decades, the simple portable grill is increasingly being replaced by six-burner units, freestanding islands and full-scale outdoor kitchens. Thankfully, decor and accessories to accompany outdoor kitchens are no longer limited to picnic tables, folding chairs and Citronella candles.
Outdoor furniture nearly rivals the style and comfort of its indoor counterparts. Accessories to create any mood and theme are readily available and often inexpensive.
At the heart of outdoor living and entertaining is the desire to cook and dine alfresco. So make it possible to go with the flow with these design ideas.
- EXTEND your living and entertaining space with an outdoor kitchen. Think about your needs and the site specifics when planning the project.
- FUNCTIONAL amenities, layout and smart storage solutions will transform your outdoor kitchen into an efficient, attractive workspace.
- NATURAL DESIGN elements help to meld the indoor and out. Shop for materials that will make the space safe and enjoyable to work in. Look for items that complement the outdoor atmosphere like terracotta pots of ornamental grasses, jute or sisal rugs and beeswax candles.
- BUDGET carefully in order to achieve all of your design and function goals. Be prepared to spend a little more on the equipment and furniture you need for the space. Through a little creativity, décor touches can be both affordable and stylish.
- GET HELP by hiring a professional to help execute the plan, ensure that no detail is overlooked and that the design is cohesive.
Add a little warm weather and bright sunshine to the mix and you are all set to enjoy the outdoor space of your dreams.
Happy alfresco dining!
Latest posts by Kim Bartley (see all)
- Kim, Fix My House: Creating a Wine Cellar - October 12, 2018
- Kim’s Sophisticated Bathroom Design Board - August 10, 2018
- Kim, Fix My House: Creating a Stylish Bathroom on a Budget - July 12, 2018