More than 58% of Canadian mothers are looking for new breakfast ideas. Are you one of them? Try this fun recipe from Nutella – it can be prepared in advance and helps to get out the door and off to school during the busy mornings. But it's also a delicious breakfast option that's sure to bring enjoyment to the morning routine.
- ¾ cup (180mL) all purpose flour
- ¾ cup (180mL) whole-wheat flour
- ¼ tsp (1mL) baking soda
- ¼ tsp (1mL) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2mL) ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup (60mL) sugar
- ¼ cup (60mL) melted butter or non-hydrogenated margarine
- ¾ cup (180mL) unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (250mL) trail mix*
- ½ cup (125mL) Nutella®
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F (180°c).
- Coat an 8x8-baking pan with cooking spray
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon. In another bowl, whisk together sugar, butter or non-hydrogenated margarine, applesauce and egg. Add applesauce mixture to flour mixture and mix just to combine. Gently fold in trail mix and spoon into baking pan. Smooth the surface.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool for 15 minutes and turn out onto a cutting board. Let them cool completely.
- When cool, cut into 10 bars. Spread the top of each bar with a little Nutella® and pair with a glass of milk and a bowl of fruit for a delicious breakfast.
- Signature trail mix is made up of equal parts of sunflower seed, raisins, cashews and pumpkin seeds.
Have you got more ideas for how to champion breakfast? Visit Facebook.com/TheBreakfastTable to apply for The Nutella Breakfast Table Fund before December 31st, 2012.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Celebrating 15 with Brian Gluckstein - January 23, 2020
- Kitchen Design Ideas We Love - January 15, 2020
- Modern Furniture, Interior Design and Your Province - January 9, 2020