“Any time we exercise, we should adopt the mindset of an athlete and think of carbs as fuel for our muscles, but it’s critical to be aware that not all carbs are created equal,” Liz Pearson says, explaining that 100 per cent whole grain breads and pasta – such as Catelli® Healthy Harvest® pasta – fruits, vegetables and beans are the best fuel for our bodies. Most of the carbohydrates we eat on a daily basis should be these ‘good carbs,’ she says. “Because they’re slowly digested, they provide a gradual release of sugar into the bloodstream, and contain valuable nutrients and plant compounds that protect health, guard against diseases and can save lives.”
With sauce that doesn’t require cooking, this meal is fast, easy and a perfect pre-exercise dish.
- 1 pkg ( 375 g ) whole wheat penne rigate, such as Catelli® Healthy Harvest® brand
- 1/2 cup ( 125 ml ) chopped sweet or white onion
- 1 cup ( 250 ml ) loosely packed, chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup ( 125 ml ) loosely packed, chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tbsp ( 15 ml ) sherry vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp ( 2 ml ) each salt and pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups ( 625 ml ) chopped, ripe, on-the-vine tomatoes
- 1 tbsp ( 15 ml ) extra virgin olive oil
- Toss the tomatoes with the onion, basil, parsley, vinegar, salt, pepper and garlic. Let stand for at least 10 minutes.
- Cook the penne according to package directions. Drain well and toss with the reserved bruschetta mixture.
- Toss mixture with olive oil and adjust seasonings before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Per serving (about 2 cups/500 ml): 408 calories, 5 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 304 mg sodium, 76 g carbohydrates, 11 g fibre, 15 g protein. Excellent source of folate, niacin, thiamin and iron. Good source of vitamin C.
For more energy-boosting meal and snack ideas, visit www.wholegrainpasta.ca or www.lizpearson.com.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Getting Ready for IDS19 - January 14, 2019
- Furniture Staging Tips - January 14, 2019
- Design Trends and Real Estate: What You Need to Know - January 14, 2019