Sometimes simple is best – and this classic steak sandwich is a prime example. It's a summer dish that layers on the flavours – briny olive tapenade, buttery stretch mozzarella and herbaceous, peppery notes of arugula – to please your palate.
- 2 strip loin steaks, each about 10 oz (300 g)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- ½ tsp (2 ml) cracked mixed peppercorns
- 1 red onion, sliced into ½-inch (1-cm) rounds
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 baguette, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 4
- ⅓ cup (75 ml) olive tapenade
- 6 oz (175 g) Saputo Mozzarellissima cheese, cut into ¼-inch thick slices
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1½ cups (375 ml) arugula
- Preheat grill to medium-high and grease grates well. Pat steaks dry with paper towel, and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill steak for 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium rare, or cook to your liking. Let steak rest for 10 minutes.
- Toss red onion slices with olive oil. Grill onions for 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until tender. Once steak has rested, slice thinly against the grain.
- Grill baguette cut side down for 30 seconds, or until lightly marked. Spread tapenade on half of the baguette slices and place Mozzarellissima slices on the remaining. Grill, covered, for 1 minute, or until cheese starts to melt.
- Sandwich steak, onion, tomato and arugula between toasted baguette with tapenade and cheese. Serve immediately.
You can find more recipes and a chance to win $10,000 in prizes at fb.com/saputo.ca.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Ultimate Design Challenge: Vote for a Chance to Win! - November 16, 2018
- Jacklynn’s Contemporary Living Room Design Board - November 16, 2018
- Yvonne’s Cheerful Bedroom Design Board - November 16, 2018