Steak Sandwiches with Tomato-Avocado Salsa
This take on a barbecue basic will not only make your brown-bag lunch jealous, but will also have the neighbours lining up for seconds and thirds. Rustic and easy to make, this feast (as seen in Walmart Live Better magazine) offers a satisfying meal for both parents and kids.
- 2 strip loin or top sirloin steaks (about 8 oz. each)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, preferably a mix of red and yellow
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 tsp Great Value Crushed Chili Peppers
- 1 large Garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp Great Value Ground Cumin
- Salt and black pepper
- Worcestershire or hot pepper sauce (optional)
- 2 tbsp butter, at room temperature
- 4 to 8 thick slices Italian-style white bread
- 1 ripe, firm avocado
- 2 tsp lime juice
- Remove steaks from refrigerator and let warm to room temperature. For salsa, quarter tomatoes and place in a bowl. Sprinkle with onion, chili peppers, garlic, cumin and 1/4 tsp salt. Stir and set aside.
- Oil grill and preheat barbecue to medium-high. Season both sides of steak with a sprinkle of salt and pepper, and Worcestershire, if using; rub in. Barbecue until meat gives slight resistance when pressed, about 4 minutes per side for 1inch thick steaks if you like them medium-rare.
- Remove to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes before slicing. Meanwhile, butter both sides of bread, using 4 slices for open-face sandwiches or 8 if you want top slices. Place bread on grill.
- Barbecue until lightly toasted and grill marks form, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Cut avocado in half and remove pit. Peel avocado or scoop pulp from skin. Cut in large dice.
- Place on tomatoes, then drizzle with lime juice. Stir gently to mix. Taste and add more salt or lime juice, if you like.
- Slice steaks crosswise in the thickness you like for a sandwich. Divide equally among 4 slices of bread. Spoon salsa on top (and top each with another slice of bread, if desired).
Additional recipes and barbecue ideas are available at www.walmart.ca/recipes.
Recipe Courtesy of CanadianHomeTrends.com
The following two tabs change content below.
Canadian Home Trends magazine gives you a personal tour of the most stunning homes and condos across Canada. You'll be inspired by a selection of accessible home décor products, trend reports, simple yet stylish DIY projects, and much more. In each issue, you are given the tools to recreate designer spaces you've always dreamt of having at home, in-depth renovation and design advice, colour palette and furniture pairings, and Canada's best places to shop.
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- 5 House Plants That Thrive in Low-Light - March 31, 2023
- Six Key Benefits of Using a Waterproof Coating for Parking Lots - March 31, 2023
- Home Renos and Stress - March 31, 2023
Leave a Comment