Piled high with tasty toppings, this mountain of a sandwich certainly lives up to its name. The bold mix of flavours, combined by Christian Horner of Orangeville, Ontario for the D'Italiano Cook-Off Challenge, is sure to satisfy an appetite of any size. More tasty recipes can be found online at www.ditaliano.ca.
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) light mayonnaise
- 5 cloves garlic, roasted
- 1/2 Roma tomato
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 tsp (5 mL) horseradish
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
- Ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 Vidalia onion, sliced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) butter
- 4 to 5 large button mushrooms
- 3 red bell pepper rings
- 6 slices pancetta bacon
- 10 to 14 oz (300 to 400 g) shaved deli roast beef
- Spicy barbecue sauce (adjust amount to taste)
- 1/2 loaf of D'Italiano Garlic Bread
- 4 large slices jalapeno havarti cheese
- Garlic dill pickles, thinly sliced (adjust amount to taste)
- Banana peppers (adjust amount to taste)
- 4 red onion rings
- Lettuce, shredded (adjust amount to taste)
- Chives, diced (adjust amount to taste)
- First make the roasted garlic avocado mayo by combining light mayonnaise, roasted garlic, tomato, avocado, horseradish, Dijon mustard and some ground pepper to taste. Mix in food processor and set aside.
- Caramelize the onion in 1 tsp (5 mL) butter and set aside. Separately, slice button mushrooms into 12 slices and fry in the remaining 1 tsp (5 mL) of butter until golden. Set aside.
- Roast 3 red bell pepper rings in the oven on a baking sheet at 350°F (180°C) for 10 to 15 minutes, turning once. Set aside.
- Lightly pan fry pancetta and set aside. Separately, lightly pan fry roast beef in spicy BBQ sauce until warm and juicy, and set aside.
- Slice the half loaf of D'Italiano garlic bread down the centre to form the base and top of the sandwich. Place on a baking sheet and bake in oven at 400°F (200°C) for 5 to 7 minutes, or until golden brown. After removing the bread from the oven, leave the bottom piece of the bread on the baking sheet and set the top piece aside.
- Build the sandwich, layering ingredients in order from the bottom: 2 slices jalapeno havarti, roast beef, roasted garlic avocado mayo, caramelized onions, golden mushrooms, pancetta, roasted red bell peppers, and 2 more slices of jalapeno havarti. Place in oven on broil for 2 to 3 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Remove base of sandwich from the oven and continue layering ingredients in order: sliced pickles, banana peppers, red onions, shredded lettuce and chives.
- Place the top of the bread on the finished sandwich and spike with long toothpicks or skewers. Cut in half, take a bite and be prepared for sandwich heaven!
- Place the top of the bread on the finished sandwich, spike with long toothpicks or skewers and cut in half.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- 4 Ways to Add Character to a Monochromatic Kitchen - May 25, 2018
- Ask an Expert: Refacing VS Refinishing a Kitchen - May 25, 2018
- Ask an Expert: Light, Airy & Interesting Kitchens - May 25, 2018