Looking for new inspiration for your party this weekend? Ground pork is a versatile and cost-effective alternative to other ground meats, yet a recent consumer survey by Ipsos showed that one in 14 Ontarians are not sure how to cook with it. Making pork at home is easier than you think, and is perfect for get-togethers with friends and family. At your next soirée, delight guests with juicy ground pork-based recipes like pork burgers, tacos, and dumplings. Start with this versatile dumpling recipe — a sure crowd-pleaser that can be served as an appetizer or side dish.
- 1/2 lb. (250 g) Ontario lean ground pork, about 1 cup (250 mL)
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) chopped green onions
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) soy sauce
- 1 tsp (5 ml) minced garlic
- 1 tsp (5 ml) grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp (5 ml) sesame oil
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) freshly ground black pepper
- 18 wonton or dumpling wrappers
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) plum sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) grainy mustard
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) rice wine vinegar
- Combine pork, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, salt and pepper in food processor and pulse until mixture begins to bind.
- Spoon 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) into the centre of each wrapper. Moisten edges with cold water. Fold three sides of round wontons around filling, meeting in centre to form a 3-cornered hat. If using square wrappers, fold edges to meet in the middle, forming a 4-cornered hat.
- In single layer, place in wax paper-lined sealable containers and refrigerate or freeze until required.
- Make mustard plum dipping sauce by whisking plum sauce, mustard and vinegar until combined in a small bowl. Sauce can be kept refrigerated for 10 days.
- Spray rack of a bamboo steamer or metal vegetable steamer with cooking oil spray and place dumplings on rack over boiling water. Cover and steam for 10 minutes. Serve dumplings hot and accompanied by mustard plum dipping sauce.
Additional recipes can be found at www.ontariopork.on.ca.
Attention editors: This article is for distribution in Ontario only.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- How to Accommodate Special Diets this Holiday Season - November 23, 2017
- Sunshine Kiwifruit Smoothie Bowl - November 21, 2017
- Honey Banana Pops - November 21, 2017