(NC)—Taking on a do-it-yourself project can be a gratifying experience, especially once successfully completed. “A key factor in DIY project success is careful research and safe execution,” says Carla Bouchard, a broker with Royal LePage Metro in Moncton, New Brunswick. “After all, you will be sure to succeed if you know your products and take care of yourself first.” Bouchard recommends practicing these five safety tips for DIY project success:
1. Dress with your safety in mind. Fortunately, serious injuries can be easily prevented with simple precautions. If you have long hair, tie it back. Remove jewelry and loose clothing that could get caught in machinery.
2. Wear a dust mask, respirator and safety goggles. Understand the materials you’re working with and protect against inhaling dust particles or fumes. Similarly, safety goggles reduce the likelihood of sustaining optical damage or even blindness.
3. When working with electricity, wear rubber-soled shoes. Rubber acts as an insulator and reduces conductivity of electricity and your chances of electrocution. However, in most cases, electrical repairs are best left to professionals.
4. Keep any machinery and equipment in top shape. Drill bits, cutters, and other blades that are left to dull can cause serious injuries. Dull blades can bind or kickback. Keep your blades sharp and up-to-date.
5. Use ladders safely. For every four feet of height, your ladder should sit at least one foot from the vertical surface upon which it is leaning. Know the height of your ladder and situate it accordingly. Never step on the top two rungs of a ladder.
As the professional Canadian contractor and television host, Mike Holmes, says: “Don’t let disaster strike. Make it right!” Before beginning any DIY project, be proactive, do your research and put your personal safety first. More information on household projects can be found at www.royallepage.ca.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Ultimate Design Challenge: Vote for a Chance to Win! - November 16, 2018
- Jacklynn’s Contemporary Living Room Design Board - November 16, 2018
- Yvonne’s Cheerful Bedroom Design Board - November 16, 2018