Apple Croûte à la Mont-Saint-Hilaire
Perfect for breakfast or brunch, this delectable dish will quickly become a family favourite. The pairing of sweet and savoury flavours, created by Marjolaine Lambert of Mont-Saint-Hilaire, Quebec for the D'Italiano Cook-Off Challenge, is a lovely way to start any day. More tasty recipes can be found online at www.ditaliano.ca.
- 4 slices D'Italiano Thick Slice 100% Whole Wheat Bread
- 4 slices cooked smoked ham (or capicola or prosciutto), cut into strips
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) butter
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) apple juice, white wine or cider
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) mushrooms, diced
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 2 eggs, whites and yolks separated
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) shredded cheese (Emmenthal, cheddar, Sbrinz or other)
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) Espelette chilli or paprika
- Family version: Toast each slice of D'Italiano bread lightly, then place on a baking sheet.
- Feast version: For each slice of bread, remove the crust, cut into a circle, then roll flat using a rolling pin. Line a buttered muffin pan with the slices, then put in the oven at 375°F (190°C) until lightly browned. Unmould and place on a baking sheet.
- Place the ham on the 4 pieces of toasted bread.
- In a skillet, melt half the butter and stir fry the apples for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat, then layer on top of the ham and sprinkle with juice, wine or cider (about 1 tbsp (15 mL) for each slice).
- In the same skillet, add the remaining butter and fry the mushrooms until golden brown. Add the green onion, stir and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the egg yolks with the cheese, then add mushrooms and green onion.
- Whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form, and stir into the cheese and mushroom mixture. Spread mixture on top of the ham and apples.
- Bake in preheated oven at 400°F (200°C) for 10 to 12 minutes, until the tops are well browned. Remove from oven, sprinkle with Espelette chilli or paprika and serve with fresh apple slices.
Preparation version 1
Preparation version 2
Tip: Recipe can be prepared a day ahead and reheated a few minutes before serving.
Recipe Courtesy of CanadianHomeTrends.com
The following two tabs change content below.
Canadian Home Trends magazine gives you a personal tour of the most stunning homes and condos across Canada. You'll be inspired by a selection of accessible home décor products, trend reports, simple yet stylish DIY projects, and much more. In each issue, you are given the tools to recreate designer spaces you've always dreamt of having at home, in-depth renovation and design advice, colour palette and furniture pairings, and Canada's best places to shop.
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- What Are Cost-Effective Ways to Raise Your Property Value? - June 6, 2023
- What to Do if Your Home Has Been Vandalized - June 6, 2023
- Signs Your Water Heater Needs Repair - June 6, 2023
Leave a Comment