Back to school for the kids means back to snack making for you. By dedicating the time on a weekend to whip up a batch of these chocolate pretzel bars will mean one less thing you have to worry about during the week.
Whether you're looking for snacks to pack in your daughter's lunchbox, or finding the perfect remedy to fill your active son's tummy after school, these bars, compliments of the Canadian magazine, Chatelaine, are the perfect fit.
- 1 1/4 cups Great Value quick oats
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup creamed honey
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup puffed-rice cereal
- 3/4 cup chopped Great Value pretzel sticks
- 2 tbsp flax seeds
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add quick oats, stirring often, until browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Stir unsalted butter, creamed honey and packed brown sugar in a large saucepan set over medium-high. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and stir in oats, puffed-rice cereal, chopped pretzels and flax seeds until combined.
- Scrape into a greased 8” x 8” baking dish. Smooth top, then sprinkle with chocolate chips. Refrigerate until firm, about 30 min. Cut into bars. Let stand at room temperature 5 minutes before serving.
- Keep well-refrigerated in a re-sealable plastic bag for up to one week.
Additional back-to-school snack recipes can be found at www.walmart.ca/recipes.