Shakshuka is a simple vegetarian, North African dish that is also made throughout the Middle East; it is often eaten for breakfast. It’s very easy to make as well as a versatile dish that makes for a great light lunch or dinner when you serve it with a salad. – Chef Rob
- 2 Tbsp. grape-seed or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 bell pepper (red, orange or yellow), diced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 28-oz can diced tomatoes, with juices
- 3 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- 4-6 eggs
- salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 handful chopped parsley
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
Add the onions, garlic and bell pepper and cook, uncovered, for about 5 minutes, until soft.
Add the smoked paprika, cumin, coriander, red pepper flakes, a couple pinches of salt, and tomatoes. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, or until the sauce is slightly thickened. While the sauce is cooking, preheat the oven to roast at 400°F.
Turn pan on low heat. Using a spoon, make 4-6 indentations in the sauce. Carefully crack an egg into each space, then spoon a bit of the sauce over each of the egg whites being careful not to disturb the yolks. Season the eggs with a pinch of salt and fresh cracked black pepper, then sprinkle the feta around the eggs. Cover with a lid for 5 minutes, or until the egg whites are still translucent on top.
Remove the lid, transfer the pan to the oven, and roast until the eggs are cooked to your liking. Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle the parsley over top. Serve Shakshuka hot with toast or pitas.
- Recipe by Rob Thomas, www.chefrob.ca
For more great recipes, visit our Recipes & Entertaining Section!
For more great gift ideas, click here.
For more entertaining ideas, click here.
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- What Are Cost-Effective Ways to Raise Your Property Value? - May 30, 2023
- What to Do if Your Home Has Been Vandalized - May 30, 2023
- Signs Your Water Heater Needs Repair - May 30, 2023
Leave a Comment