For a low-maintenance meal, this chicken and potato salad recipe uses yogurt as a marinade to tenderize and season the chicken. Dairy-based marinades are less acidic than citrus versions, breaking down proteins more slowly for meats that are tender and juicy.
Let your chicken legs marinate while you prepare the fresh herb potato salad using a light, non-fat yogurt made with Canadian dairy. Enjoy this Mediterranean-inspired meal as you soak up the last of the warm weather.
Greek-Style Chicken Legs and Potato Salad
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 1 hr 5 minutes (including marinating)
• 1 cup (250 ml) Great Value Plain 0% Yogurt
• 1 tsp (5 ml) lemon zest
• 2 cloves garlic, grated
• 1/2 (2 ml) tsp salt
• 1/4 (1 ml) tsp pepper
• 1 tsp (5 ml) minced oregano leaves
• 4 chicken legs
• 1 lb (500 g) red baby potatoes
• 2 tbsp (30 ml) minced fresh dill
• 3 green onions, sliced
1. In a large bowl, mix yogurt, lemon, garlic, salt and pepper. Reserve half a cup (125 ml) of the mixture and set aside. Stir oregano into remaining yogurt mixture and add chicken; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to one day.
2. Add potatoes to a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Uncover and cook until potatoes can be easily pierced with a paring knife or fork, about 10 to 12 minutes. Drain and run under cold water until cool. Cut potatoes in half and toss with reserved yogurt sauce, dill and green onions in a medium bowl.
3. Heat barbecue to medium-low. Add chicken and cook 22 to 24 minutes or until cooked through (165F or 70C), turning halfway. Serve with potato salad.
Tip: Don’t have fresh oregano? Substitute for half the dried amount for a similar taste.
Find more great recipes online at walmart.ca/recipes.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Jo Alcorn’s Trends 2 Watch: Bathrooms - January 10, 2018
- Expert Advice: Getting the Best Bang for Your Bathroom Renovation Buck - January 10, 2018
- Accessing Your Home Equity: Remortgaging vs Home Equity Loans - January 2, 2018