Duelling sources of heat play off the tongue with these Italian sausage-stuffed pork chops. Add the smoke from the apple wood chips and the sweetness of the glaze for a meaty, flavourful experience.
- Cooking oil 2 tsp. 10 mL
- Hot Italian sausage, casing removed 3/4 lb. 340 g
- Chopped onion 1 cup 250 mL
- Garlic cloves, minced 2
- Diced red pepper 1/2 cup 125 mL
- Bone-in pork rib chops 4
- (about 1 1/2 inches, 3.8 cm, thick),
- trimmed of fat (see Tip, below)
- Salt, sprinkle
- Pepper, sprinkle
- Sweet chili sauce 1/2 cup 125 mL
- Grated orange zest 2 tsp. 10 mL
- Apple wood chips, soaked in water for 2 cups 500 mL
- 1 hour and drained
- Heat cooking oil in a frying pan on medium high. Add next 3 ingredients and scramble-fry until sausage is no longer pink.
- Add red pepper and scramble-fry until tender-crisp. Remove pan from heat and let stand until cool.
- Cut slits horizontally in pork chops to create pockets. Fill with sausage mixture and secure with wooden picks. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Combine chili sauce and orange zest.
- Put wood chips into smoker box. Prepare grill for indirect medium heat with smoker box. Cook pork chops for about 25 minutes per side, brushing occasionally with chili sauce mixture, until internal temperature of pork reaches 160°F (71°C). Cover with foil and let stand for 5 minutes. Remove picks before serving.
TIP To find chops that are the required thickness, you may have to make a special request of your butcher.
MAKE AHEAD The filling can be made a day ahead, but the chops should be stuffed just before they are cooked.
Reprinted from Practical Gourmet Good Friends, Great Grilling © Company’s Coming Publishing Limited www.companyscoming.com