This take on a barbecue basic will not only make your brown-bag lunch jealous, but will also have the neighbours lining up for seconds and thirds. Rustic and easy to make, this feast (as seen in Walmart Live Better magazine) offers a satisfying meal for both parents and kids.
- 2 strip loin or top sirloin steaks (about 8 oz. each)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, preferably a mix of red and yellow
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 tsp Great Value Crushed Chili Peppers
- 1 large Garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp Great Value Ground Cumin
- Salt and black pepper
- Worcestershire or hot pepper sauce (optional)
- 2 tbsp butter, at room temperature
- 4 to 8 thick slices Italian-style white bread
- 1 ripe, firm avocado
- 2 tsp lime juice
- Remove steaks from refrigerator and let warm to room temperature. For salsa, quarter tomatoes and place in a bowl. Sprinkle with onion, chili peppers, garlic, cumin and 1/4 tsp salt. Stir and set aside.
- Oil grill and preheat barbecue to medium-high. Season both sides of steak with a sprinkle of salt and pepper, and Worcestershire, if using; rub in. Barbecue until meat gives slight resistance when pressed, about 4 minutes per side for 1inch thick steaks if you like them medium-rare.
- Remove to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes before slicing. Meanwhile, butter both sides of bread, using 4 slices for open-face sandwiches or 8 if you want top slices. Place bread on grill.
- Barbecue until lightly toasted and grill marks form, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Cut avocado in half and remove pit. Peel avocado or scoop pulp from skin. Cut in large dice.
- Place on tomatoes, then drizzle with lime juice. Stir gently to mix. Taste and add more salt or lime juice, if you like.
- Slice steaks crosswise in the thickness you like for a sandwich. Divide equally among 4 slices of bread. Spoon salsa on top (and top each with another slice of bread, if desired).
Additional recipes and barbecue ideas are available at www.walmart.ca/recipes.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- 4 Ways to Add Character to a Monochromatic Kitchen - May 25, 2018
- Ask an Expert: Refacing VS Refinishing a Kitchen - May 25, 2018
- Ask an Expert: Light, Airy & Interesting Kitchens - May 25, 2018