Whether you’re just starting out and purchasing your fi rst condo or
you’re preparing to retire and downsizing, these design tips can help you
achieve a designer look for your new home! – Text by Designer Jacklynn Little
Just Getting Started
Purchasing your first home can be both exciting and overwhelming. With a new mortgage and costs to consider, design is often a secondary concern but adding your own personal style to your condo is a great way to make it feel like home! Here are some budget-friendly ideas for first time condo owners.
- Buy the best sofa and chairs you can afford, in neutral fabrics. It
will last longer, saving you money down the road.
- Adding pillows to coordinate with your furniture is an
inexpensive way to add color and texture.
- Buy used furniture and repaint it yourself. Always remember to
use a primer for best durability and finish.
Downsize In Style
When selling a larger family home and downsizing into a condo, you have to decide what to keep and what to get rid of. This can also be an opportunity to take some of your well made pieces and update them to suit your new home. Here are a few ideas to make that transition not only easier but inspire new design as well.
- If you have a well made but out of date sofa or chair, update
them with new fabric for a stunning new look.
- Add new throw pillows that coordinate with the new sofa fabric
for a sophisticated look.
- Replace oversized rugs with new area rugs that are the right
size for your new condo space.